Children’s Counselling and Support Services
EDON place provides a range of activities, programs and referrals in the child support area for children and their parent. Activities for children are run on a daily basis. The Kidz Biz club (for school age children) meet once a week after school during school term. Activities are arranged for all children during the school holidays.
EDON Place staff undertakes the following programs:
- 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching Parenting Program
- Love Bites Program
- Triple P – Positive Parenting Program.
Court Based Services
Bundaberg, Childers and Gayndah
EDON Place offers assistance and Support in Bundaberg, Childers and Gayndah Magistrates Courts. We understand that going to court can be stressful and a difficult experience.
Our workers are able to offer:
- Information about Legislation
- Information about Court procedures;
- Assistance to apply for a new order or to vary or revoke the conditions on an existing order;
- Preparation – court meeting and orientation;
- Support in the safe waiting room and in the court room;
- Post court debriefing and information;
- Safety planning;
- Referral to other agencies.Please note: Staff are not able to provide legal advice.
Emergency Relief Assistance
Emergency relief assistance can be provided to women experiencing domestic and family violence.
An assessment will be conducted to determine the level of support required.
Home Security Safety Upgrades
This Service assists women affected by domestic and family violence to remain safely in their own homes, rather than re-locating, thereby remaining close to family and other support networks, such as workplaces, schools and child care centres.
Following a comprehensive risk assessment, EDON Place will facilitate upgrades to the security of client’s homes. The Service will work with the client to assess risk and undertake an assessment of the safety and security needs of the home as part of the safety plan process, case manage the work required to address the identified home security needs and, where it is safe and appropriate, arrange for the enhancement of home security.
We assist our clients to develop and implement personalised safety plans and address the counselling and support needs of clients and their children through referral. The service works to enhance safety of clients who are identified as the aggrieved person on a domestic violence order that include an ouster condition. However, Home Security Safety Upgrades services may also accept referral of clients without a domestic violence order with an ouster condition but who would benefit from being supported to remain in the home currently occupied by the client through an upgrade to the security of the property. This Service operates in conjunction with all other services currently provided by EDON Place Domestic and Family Violence Centre.
Service Systems – Community Education
EDON Place undertakes a range of community education activities each year to raise awareness of domestic and family violence in our community. Our Service is active in speaking to children in schools about healthy relationships, speaking with allied professionals about the services we offer and providing specialised support for working with issues of domestic and family violence. EDON Place regularly facilitates an educational domestic and family violence awareness program. EDON Place is a lead agency in this catchment area for activities during Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month, held in May each year.
- Providing domestic violence information and resources to community organisations.
- Participating in interagency networks, DVCAN, Child Protection Week activities and Love Bites program.
- Providing domestic violence information to local schools.
- Developing and disseminating a range of resources about domestic violence and dating violence.
- Information sessions, forums and workshops.
Temporary Supported Accommodation – Support for Women and Children
EDON Place offers short- term crisis accommodation for women and their children who are escaping domestic and family violence. EDON Place also has transitional housing which provides accommodation for women and children leaving the service who still require some assistance to establish independent living.
Crisis support is available during business hours. This can include crisis counselling face to face or by phone, assistance to complete applications for domestic and family violence protection orders, assistance to access alternative safe accommodation, and other safety planning.
For emergency assistance outside of hours, contact DVConnect on 1800 811 811 or the police on 000.
Mobile Support Services
EDON Place offers a mobile support service to women escaping domestic and family violence.
Women’s Counselling and Support Services
EDON Place is funded through the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women to provide individual face to face therapeutic counselling for women experiencing, or who have experienced, domestic and family violence in the Bundaberg region. A suitably qualified worker will provide assessment, intervention, and case conceptualization to assist women to develop strategies that will increase their safety and well being. Women can be referred through police referral, self-referral, and referrals from external organisations.
Women Rebuilding Their Lives After Domestic Violence – Group Program
Throughout the year we run women’s group programs for women rebuilding their lives after domestic violence at EDON Place. The aim of the groups is to assist women to address the impact of domestic and family violence and to:
- Provide a supportive and safe environment for women to talk about their experiences.
- Provide opportunities for women to gain strength and understanding through shared experiences.
- Meet other women and help break down social isolation associated with living with domestic violence.
- Provide education and information about domestic and family violence.
If you are interested in attending a women’s group please contact us on (07) 4153 6820.
Perpetrator Intervention Program – Responsible and Respectful Choices – Men’s Program
A group program that incorporates a psycho-educational aspect including information and education about the impacts of Domestic and Family Violence. The group is a 16 week rolling program and is aimed at providing a safe and supportive environment for men who are choosing to change their behavior.
North Burnett Services
EDON Place is able to offer support to women in the North Burnett who are experiencing domestic and family violence.
- Support with safety planning and risk assessments
- Support with Domestic and Family Violence Protection Orders (DVO’s)
- Assistance with referrals to local organisations
Areas in North Burnett include: Monto, Gayndah & Eidsvold